Wonko on 1 Oct 2002 22:16:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] The other side of the production coin

Quoth Orc In A Spacesuit,

> I completely agree with the premise, just do that-- we'll add the new stuff
> later.  Get a good base now.
>
> As for the other stuff, let's not get too carried away just yet.  Keep it
> simple for now.
>
> Ooo Idea (for present or future):  Allow any Entity to have technologies,
> but require Physical Entities to do some of the work.  For example, the
> society "Orcish Slavery" may have the technology "Sweater", which requires 1
> Sheep Gnome and requires a _Physcial Entity_ who has that technology to
> spend 1 nDay doing nothing gridwise, and produces a Sweater and a Shaved
> Sheep Gnome.  Orc Slavery could teach this technology to the player bd, who
> then does that actual 1 nday of work.  bd could then teach what he knows to
> competitors, such as Wonkosoft.
>
> In another example, Orcish Slavery may have the technology "Spacesuit
> Helmet", which could require 1 Shield, 1 Big Stick, 2 Balls of Wax, 1 Air
> Gnome, and 200 BNS.  It also requires 1 Object named "Spacesuit Machine" to
> spend 3 ndays working on it, and 1 Physical Entity, which _doesn't have to
> have the technology_, to be in the same grid space as the machine on the
> first nday.  In this case, if bd operated the machine, he would not
> necessarily know the technolody, and therefore Wonkosoft would have to go to
> more extreme measures to aquire it.
>
> Well, there I go, getting all complicated.  Lay down the framework,
> Glotmorf, and we'll do the rest afterwards.  Great idea.

Suddenly I have some ideas about what to do with the WBE Research Outposts
thrown in at the bottom of the proposal...

What if Corporations could construct Research Outposts on the Grid... The
time it would take to develop new Techs would decrease if they had more
Outposts... To steal Techs, you'd have to get one of your employees to
infiltrate the Outpost, so you'd also want all sorts of defenses for your
own Outposts...

--
Wonko