Wonko on 13 Aug 2002 13:28:03 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Grid movement

Quoth Glotmorf,

> I leave the Grid.
>
> For the legality of my action, I cite the following sentence from Rule 301:
>
> "Once a player is on the Grid, e may only leave the Grid [[e.g. change his
> status to "off the Grid"]] or move to other units on the Grid in a manner
> prescribed by the rules."
>
> It is my opinion that this sentence can be interpreted to mean, "Once a player
> is on the Grid, e may only (leave the Grid) or (move to other units on the
> Grid in a manner prescribed by the rules)."  In other words, a given player
> has a choice of either leaving the grid or performing a rule-prescribed
> on-grid move.
>
> Once the new, post-punted location of the football is determined by the
> Administrator, I enter the grid at that location, join Team Turquoise, and
> catch the ball.
>
> Nyah.

I would interpret it the other way - e may only (leave the Grid or move to
other units on the Grid) in a manner prescribed by the rules.

Otherwise, players on the grid are incapable of taking action entirely, as
the only actions they are permitted to take are (leave the Grid) and (move
to other units on the Grid in a manner prescribed by the rules). So if your
interpretation stands, your actions still cannot happen since you cannot
join Team Turquoise or catch the ball, as you're restricted to movement or
leaving.

Well done.

--
Wonko