Wonko on 19 Jun 2002 18:45:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Societies

Quoth Glotmorf,

> Now now...:)  The default rule applies inasmuch as it says gamestate changes
> can only be made when some rule explicitly permits them.  If a Charter
> describes actions that the Societies rule explicitly says a Society can
> perform, the default rule doesn't apply.  If a Charter describes actions that
> the Societies rule doesn't say a Society can perform, the default rule does
> apply.
>
> So if a Charter says members have to give points to each other, that's
> permitted, since there are rules that cover players giving points to players.
> If a Charter says members can make Club Props as per such-and-such Standard
> Method, that's permitted, since the Societies rule permits Club Props to be
> made.  If a Charter says members are awarded Wins, that's not permitted, and
> the default case applies, since there's nothing in the rules that says
> anything other than point totals can cause Wins to be awarded.
>
> So there's no conflict between those two quotes.  It is not true that Charter
> rules have no power, and it's not true that Charter rules can award Wins.

What about,

A Society may have internal rules that are binding upon its Members.

I would interpret that as saying that the for the members of the society,
the internal rules *are* rules of the game.

Besides, the default case doesn't forbid societies from changing the
Gamestate. It forbids *players* from changing the gamestate. Unless you want
societies to count as players, but that would be... ugh.

--
Wonko