Glotmorf on 10 Jun 2002 04:07:35 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Time travel?

On 6/9/02 at 7:06 AM Dan Waldron wrote:

>If we were to set the clock back to nweek 2 then presumably the rules as
>of nweek 2 would be in effect.  Am I right in assuming that only players
>who had not voted in the first nweek 2 would be allowed to vote?  Would
>all of our attributes be set back to their nweek 2 values or would we have
>to specify that somewhere else if we wanted it.  Would players who had
>joined since nweek 2 be booted, since, presumably a demonstration of
>intent to be a player has no effect before it is submitted?  And then when
>we get to nweek 3 would all the real changes we made in nweek 2 be
>automatically be made or would we have to propose them all over again?

If you really wanted to accomplish this, you'd have to say something like, "change the gamestate to what it was as of nweek 2."  I daresay I'd vote against that, since it'd wipe out me and everything I'd done.

>I am tempted to propose something like a weakened form of the relativity
>proposal.  Time could move at different rates for different players,
>probably done by changing the number of ndays in the nweek.  The Admin
>wouldn't have to work ahead though.  Basically if a player got to the next
>nweek before the Admin, the Admin wouldn't be able to recognize eir
>actions until e know if they are legal under the new rules.  This time lag
>might be some sort of handicap for players who write too much--a little
>like Entropy is now.

If you changed the number of ndays per nweek for different players, but still confined everyone within nweeks, you'd make some players wait for other players.  That'd get kind of old, wouldn't it?

>That said, i'm not actually a big fan of entropy and given the choice I
>would probably prefer to squish it and not worry about syllables..

Have I mentioned my fondness for taxing the rich and powerful, or for making the game more "interesting" for the more successful? :)

						Glotmorf