Dan Waldron on 9 Jun 2002 11:06:25 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Time travel?

> As for setting the clock to nweek 2, Mr. A would probably veto it
> because it'd mess up his database.  I'd add my objections because of
> my own database.  The rules may not care overmuch, though there's the
> nyear rule to consider.
>
> Why would you want to set the clock back to nweek 2?  So that the game
> doesn't feel ancient?

Oh I'm not seriously suggesting this, folk.  This is definetly out there
on the probably-not-possible-but-fun-to-think-about edge.  Actually, I
have a feeling that you folks consider plenty of my legitimate proposals
to be out there too, but this one is especially distant.

If we were to set the clock back to nweek 2 then presumably the rules as
of nweek 2 would be in effect.  Am I right in assuming that only players
who had not voted in the first nweek 2 would be allowed to vote?  Would
all of our attributes be set back to their nweek 2 values or would we have
to specify that somewhere else if we wanted it.  Would players who had
joined since nweek 2 be booted, since, presumably a demonstration of
intent to be a player has no effect before it is submitted?  And then when
we get to nweek 3 would all the real changes we made in nweek 2 be
automatically be made or would we have to propose them all over again?

I am tempted to propose something like a weakened form of the relativity
proposal.  Time could move at different rates for different players,
probably done by changing the number of ndays in the nweek.  The Admin
wouldn't have to work ahead though.  Basically if a player got to the next
nweek before the Admin, the Admin wouldn't be able to recognize eir
actions until e know if they are legal under the new rules.  This time lag
might be some sort of handicap for players who write too much--a little
like Entropy is now.

That said, i'm not actually a big fan of entropy and given the choice I
would probably prefer to squish it and not worry about syllables..

Dan