David E. Smith on 15 Feb 2002 07:53:14 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: So, what should I be doing?

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Donald Whytock wrote:

> Why would web voting be illegal?  The rules just talk about submitting
> the vote to the administrator; it doesn't say that has to be done
> through email.

Point. I suppose my interpretation of the rules has been a touch
conservative... perhaps that's why I've not been very successful at
*playing* Nomic.

> And web-based proposals?  What if a player could edit the proposal on
> a webpage, and cause the new version to be spat to the forum?

I was actually thinking of a middle-ground sorta idea: Have a separate
database table for "unrecognized" stuff. Add a unique signature that can
be easily (at least by me) verified - probably some variant on the old md5
cryptographic hash - to make sure what I've got in the database is the
same as what gets mailed to a forum.

I kinda like your idea as well, though, don't get me wrong.

One of the "limitations" of the old system is that I can't change an
item's type without much nuisance. Usually, that's a good thing, so I
don't accidentally change something from a proposal to a CFJ or something
equally wacky. But if I just added an "unrecognized" category type, and
set things up carefully on my end... hm...

Darn you people and your ideas! I'm not sure just how much coolness I can
crank out in a week!

...dave