Donald Whytock on 9 Feb 2002 22:05:32 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Friday night/Saturday morning)

On 2/9/02 at 7:15 AM David E. Smith wrote:

>(Aside: For the life of me, I can't find Glotmorf anywhere. Did e, in
>fact, enter the Grid at some point?)

Glotmorf has not entered the Grid.  Glotmorf is in Limbo, where freshly minted Gremlins go.  Glotmorf will probably be staying there for a while, as e has a bright idea or two.

>"The Pause That Refreshes" is 367/1. I suddenly feel very fatalistic for
>some inexplicable reason.

Hey, it's not like we're writing your will or taking out insurance policies on you...:)

>I may just have to accept this particular limitation, pending some really
>clever ideas. I'm still got a few queries to optimize, but I'm growing
>skeptical as to the benefits to be derived therefrom.

Um...why not have a couple admin-accessible web apps that generate static HTML pages from database queries on a demand basis?  When you update the rules, you run the app and generate fresh HTML.  You update the proposals, or the CFJs, or whatever, you run the app and generate fresh HTML.  That way, except for the search engine, no one but you ever does a database query.

Though personally I've been saving a copy of the rules page after every nweek update.  Saves time, and lets me look at it offline too.

						Glotmorf