Donald Whytock on 28 Jan 2002 15:21:18 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: [OT] C++ Nomic

On 1/28/02 at 8:30 AM Eric Gerlach wrote:

>At 12:37 AM 2002-01-28 -0500, you wrote:

>> >Maybe we could do C Nomic after we're done with this.  *runs and hides*
>>
>>Nah...we have Game Objects.  It'll have to be C++ Nomic.
>
>Woah, flash of genius here.... I think we may be onto something... Gotta
>go
>to work but here goes the basic idea:
>
>- Game runs as a daemon on a server
>- Clients connect, login, and perform actions (proposals, voting) via a
>well-defined XML interface
>- Proposals are patches to the code of the Server
>- At the end of every voting period (whatever that is), the daemon patches
>and recompiles itself then exec()s the new copy
>- If you break the game so it doesn't compile, or you cause it to crash on
>a line of your code, you win!
>
>That's about as far as I've gotten in planning (besides some details
>brainstorming).  This could be a neat pet project.  It might be easier to
>do it in Java but C++ would be cooler (multiple versions for different
>programming languages?).  Anyone else have thoughts on this? (it's
>off-topic so let's keep it brief - statements of interest and key ideas
>only for now).
>
>Bean

So basically we're talking Parliamentary Core Wars?  With players needing to work out exactly what a proposed piece of code does before they vote in favor of its implementation?

Gee, I'd think it would be harder to keep the thing running than to bring it to a halt...:)  And it'd be nice/fair to have a testbed server somewhere that people can test their proposals on...

						Glotmorf