Eric Gerlach on 28 Jan 2002 13:30:28 -0000

spoon-discuss: [OT] C++ Nomic

At 12:37 AM 2002-01-28 -0500, you wrote:
On 1/28/02 at 12:33 AM Eric Gerlach wrote:

>At 12:31 AM 2002-01-28 -0500, you wrote:
>>If you want the Nomic state to be consistent all the time with no
>>allowance for common sense, proposals would probably have to be
>>submitted as C code or something.
>
>Maybe we could do C Nomic after we're done with this.  *runs and hides*

Nah...we have Game Objects.  It'll have to be C++ Nomic.

Woah, flash of genius here.... I think we may be onto something... Gotta go to work but here goes the basic idea:

- Game runs as a daemon on a server
- Clients connect, login, and perform actions (proposals, voting) via a well-defined XML interface
- Proposals are patches to the code of the Server
- At the end of every voting period (whatever that is), the daemon patches and recompiles itself then exec()s the new copy - If you break the game so it doesn't compile, or you cause it to crash on a line of your code, you win!

That's about as far as I've gotten in planning (besides some details brainstorming). This could be a neat pet project. It might be easier to do it in Java but C++ would be cooler (multiple versions for different programming languages?). Anyone else have thoughts on this? (it's off-topic so let's keep it brief - statements of interest and key ideas only for now).

Bean