Rob Speer on 11 Jan 2002 20:46:28 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proposal: Titles, and a better bandwidth limit

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 04:00:23PM -0500, Greg Ritter wrote:
> At 03:11 PM 1/10/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >The problem with a bandwith limit is that it doesn't generate less
> >proposals, it just generates longer ones.
>
> I agree with that, but it's a separate issue.
>
> Long proposals aren't a result of Bandwidth Rationing, but a result of Rule
> 19/4 which says "A proposal is a formal request for a set of Rule Changes
> or other changes."

There's always a way out. You could make a request to change a Rule to
one which does a whole lot, or even a Rule which uses self-modification
to fragment itself into other rules or modify other rules.

And do you mean to say that it shouldn't be possible for a proposal to
perform a Rule and an Action simultaneously? Consider the rule that
dealt with Bob the Voting Fish - it was also necessary to create Bob.

Of course, Bob could have been created by a line of the rule which would
delete itself. And that's what you're going to get if you limit
proposals - rules will begin to contain mini-proposals instead.

--
Rob Speer