Rob Speer on 13 Mar 2001 02:38:50 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proposal: Voting Misinformation

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 06:18:43PM -0600, Joel Uckelman wrote:
> Quoth Rob Speer:
> >
> > \begin{proposal}
> > \title{Voting Misinformation}
> >
> > When voting on the Ballot, a player may specify with any of eir votes an
> > alternate choice for which it should appear that e voted.
> >
> > [[ For example, you could vote 'NO to P942/0, shown as YES'. ]]
> >
> > The actual vote is counted in the vote totals. However, in all records of
> > voting and in all future gameplay, the player is considered to have made the
> > alternate vote. Only the Administrator should know how the player actually
> > voted.
> >
> > [[ This may make some voting reports appear to not add up. Tough. It has the
> > very useful effect that proposals that have effects based on who voted for th
> > em
> > fall flat on their face. ]]
> >
> > \end{proposal}
> >
> > --
> > Rob Speer
>
> Ugh. Then what's to keep someone from reversing all of their votes most (or
> all) of the time? Besides, I'd like to minimize the amount of privileged
> knowledge I have as Admin.
>
> --
> J.

You know, I just realized a worse problem than that. In weeks with the OMA,
someone could make it look like they voted "no" to everything, thus collecting
all the OMA's, unless proposals all started to put in penalties for voting no
so that players would be encouraged to mark their vote as "yes".

I'll have to come at this a different way.

--
Rob Speer