Joel Uckelman on 19 Feb 2001 22:14:16 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proposal limiting jurisdiction of rules:

Quoth Daniel Chapman:
> With the passage of Rule 350/0 (which I voted for) I feel that it's time to
> pass a rule that will mildly limit the jurisdiction of new rules.  I don't
> want to see a new rule which requires me to buy a digital camera from a
> particular site or requires me to visit some web site.
>
> <proposal>
>
> Title: Jurisdiction of Rules
>
> New rules may not be proposed which will require the player to take an
> action outside of the limits of public fora.
>
> [[ This should allow for rules which require Officers to keep track of
> points and other such data, as you're requiring the Officer to produce a
> correct report. ]]
>
> New rules may also not be proposed which will restrict a player's actions
> outside of public fora.
>
> </proposal>

HEAR HEAR!

I have a suggestion, though: why not repeal R350, while you're at it, since
it is clearly in violation of the spirit of this Proposal?

> In addition, I would also like to make a motion to recognize the website as
> a public forum.  I don't recall ever seeing any sort of recognition of it as
> such, but we all sort of assumed that it would be.

Hmm. I'm not sure that's a good idea, namely because what it means for
something to be a public forum is that official actions may be taken there.
If the site were a public forum, a page could be hidden away there where
someone could do things that would be legal actions, but no one else in the
game would have any reasonable way of finding out about, until such time as
it was convenient to reveal them. Since I'm the only one who presently can
edit the web pages, that someone could only be me. I don't really want to
have the option of doing that, nor do I think you should give it to me. So,
I'm not going to declare the site as a public forum, pending further
argument to the contrary. (If you really want me to, keep trying. You need
to come up with some  really persuasive reason, though.)

--
J.