Kyle H on 8 Aug 2003 22:35:21 -0000

[eia] another voluntary access puzzle

    Here's a scenario that just occurred to me.  I wonder what the rest of you think.  Let's use my hypothetical example from the last email.  Prussia is granted voluntary access to British territory.  Prussia places a garrison in Belfast.  Then, some time later, Ireland is ceded to France as part of a peace treaty.  (Assume that Prussia does not have a voluntary access agreement with France.)  Is there anything in the rules that would force the Prussians to leave Belfast now that they are in French territory?

    If there is not, I definitely think there should be.  It's one thing to stick someone with foreign troops that they voluntarily allowed to enter.  (In this way, voluntary access is kind of like inviting a vampire into your house - once he's in, there's no getting him out.)  But why should somebody be stuck with foreign troops that he never permitted to enter?  There has to be some way of forcing unwelcome, uninvited troops to leave, and if there isn't, we need to create one.

kdh