Joel Uckelman on 9 Aug 2003 02:31:58 -0000

Re: [eia] another voluntary access puzzle

Thus spake "Kyle H":
>     Here's a scenario that just occurred to me.  I wonder what the rest =
> of you think.  Let's use my hypothetical example from the last email.  =
> Prussia is granted voluntary access to British territory.  Prussia =
> places a garrison in Belfast.  Then, some time later, Ireland is ceded =
> to France as part of a peace treaty.  (Assume that Prussia does not have =
> a voluntary access agreement with France.)  Is there anything in the =
> rules that would force the Prussians to leave Belfast now that they are =
> in French territory?
>
>     If there is not, I definitely think there should be.  It's one thing =
> to stick someone with foreign troops that they voluntarily allowed to =
> enter.  (In this way, voluntary access is kind of like inviting a =
> vampire into your house - once he's in, there's no getting him out.)  =
> But why should somebody be stuck with foreign troops that he never =
> permitted to enter?  There has to be some way of forcing unwelcome, =
> uninvited troops to leave, and if there isn't, we need to create one.
>
> kdh

This is a nasty problem. As far as I know, the rules give no guidance
on this matter. In real life, if the Prussians in your example refused to
leave and you could no longer tollerate their presence,  all you could do
about it would be to declare war and fight them. That's the time-honored
way to move an army against its will. And that's why I think you'd be
stuck with them until you declared war or they left on their own.