J.J. Young on 9 Aug 2003 02:24:21 -0000

Re: [eia] another voluntary access puzzle

>     Here's a scenario that just occurred to me.  I wonder what the rest of
you think.  Let's use my hypothetical example from the last email.  Prussia
is granted voluntary access to British territory.  Prussia places a garrison
in Belfast.  Then, some time later, Ireland is ceded to France as part of a
peace treaty.  (Assume that Prussia does not have a voluntary access
agreement with France.)  Is there anything in the rules that would force the
Prussians to leave Belfast now that they are in French territory?

>     If there is not, I definitely think there should be.  It's one thing
to stick someone with foreign troops that they voluntarily allowed to enter.
(In this way, voluntary access is kind of like inviting a vampire into your
house - once he's in, there's no getting him out.)  But why should somebody
be stuck with foreign troops that he never permitted to enter?  There has to
be some way of forcing unwelcome, uninvited troops to leave, and if there
isn't, we need to create one.

I think this senario should be handled in exactly the same way that we
handle limited access after peace (however we decide to do that).  Unless,
of course, the new owner of the territory chooses to grant access to the
third party whose forces are in that territory.

-JJY