Joel Uckelman on 17 Apr 2003 22:41:01 -0000

Re: [eia] political points after a battle

Thus spake Michael Gorman:

> I suppose I'm as much raising a secondary issue as dealing with the current
> one.  12.4 works fine for neutrals as access is already set up clearly, but
> eventually it will probably come to pass that the war in Russia will
> end.  Then we'll have to figure out what limited' means for force
> departures from major nations.  Remember that this access is two way. It
> isn't just what access do the victors have for the time period, it's also
> what access to the victorious nations does the defeated nation have and
> 12.4 does not show that the access conditions are at all different between
> the two.
>
> Beyond stating that there is some access and that that access is limited,
> 12.4 seems a pretty useless rule in that it gives no information on the
> mechanics of the access.
>
> What is probably the single most important issue is the conditions under
> which a corps can enter a nation it is no longer at war with in order to
> retrieve garrisons.  Can it engage in combat with allies of the major power
> it is retrieving forces from if they are also present in the nation it is
> retrieving forces from?  Can it exit from a different path than it
> entered?  Can a corps not present in the major power's territory at the
> time of peace enter the nation or is it not covered under the peace time
> access conditions?
>
> Mike

There are two different cases here, one involving neutral minors and one
involving majors after a peace. As far as I can tell, there's nothing
prohibiting battles from taking place in neutral minors, so long as the
belligerents are otherwise eligible to fight.

I believe that the rules in 12.4 constitute the sole restrictions on leaving the territory of a former enemy major power. Nothing there prohibits fighting battles, restricts exit paths, prohibits additional corps from entering, building depots, etc. All I see are restrictions on occupying cities beyond 3 months, and the requirement that everyone have left after half a year. So that's the way I think it should be played baring a compelling argument to the contrary.

--
J.