J.J. Young on 18 Nov 2002 02:34:02 -0000

Re: [eia] restricting limited access, take 2

This sounds just right.

-JJY
----- Original Message -----
From: Kyle H
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [eia] restricting limited access, take 2

     After having considered Mike's points about my first attempt, here is what I have come up with to try to fix it.  (BTW, I have reluctantly adopted his suggestion about 'initiating' combat rather than 'engaging in' combat.  I can't see a way around it.)

Proposed House Rule: Limited Access.  Rule 12.4 indicates that major powers who have signed a peace treaty have limited access to each other's territory.  The access is limited in the sense that garrisons that remain in foreign territory 3 full months after the peace treaty was signed will automatically be decommissioned, and any corps/fleets still in the foreign territory 6 full months after the peace treaty was signed will also be automatically decommissioned.
This House Rule adds an additional restriction to limited access: forces making use of limited access in foreign territory* may not initiate combat of any kind unless voluntary access is granted by the controlling major power or war is declared again between the two major powers.  This means that garrisons, corps, and fleets cannot attack while in the territory of a recent enemy after a peace treaty has been signed.  (This means that the allies of the former enemy are considered to be under flag of truce during the period of limited access.)
These are the only restrictions imposed by the limited access mentioned in Rule 12.4.
* Territory controlled by the surrendering power includes land spaces, city spaces, ports, and blockade boxes.

Clarification:
    Who does this House Rule affect?  This House Rule only affects forces that are in formerly enemy territory under conditions of limited access.  So if you are not in foreign territory, this rule does not affect you.  Similarly, if you are in foreign territory under some other conditions (e.g. voluntary access or new declaration of war), this rule also does not affect you.

Hypothetical example:
    Suppose that Great Britain and Austria are allied.  Austria has surrendered to France, but Great Britain and France remain at war.  If British forces are in Austrian-controlled territory, France would not be permitted to use limited access to pursue those British forces.  However, the British forces, who have presumably received voluntary access from Austria, are free to attack the French forces.  [Although I dislike this asymmetry, it does seem to be necessary to formulate a coherent rule.]
    So what happens if, on the way out of Austrian territory, French forces are moved into a space containing British forces?  Answer: nothing.  No attack can be declared by the French forces, so the two armies co-habit the same square.  However, if on the British player's turn, the British player leaves its forces in a space containing French forces or moves its forces into a space containing French forces, then an attack must be declared as usual.

What do you think?

kdh

kdh