Michael Gorman on 29 Jul 2002 05:43:03 -0000

Re: [eia] Seige stuff

What I see in the forage situation for a corps in a city that is not besieged but has enemy troops in the same area is that they can forage normally, but suffer the penalty for other corps in the area. The image I carry that makes this not seem just boneheaded to me is that each area is pretty big and it's possible that two forces trying to avoid each other could successfully do so without having more than minor skirmishes between their scouts so long as one of them remains pretty much stationary, like in a city. If they're both moving in the field, they will probably end up fighting eventually as there will be too many opportunities for mistakes to be made that draw the corps into conflict a little at a time. As not besieging the city would seem to imply that the intruding force is not getting close to the city, then the fields and nearby towns that a corps would want to use for forage would remain available to the force in the city and they would not have to rely on what could be had only within the city. As there appear to be no cases where having your movement minus a maximum of two for other corps plus the base area for a region is worse than being in the city, not being besieged remains better than being besieged for supply purposes, which makes sense, I think. And of course, garrisons wouldn't have to roll at all in this situation. Not being able to build a depot in a land locked city also makes sense as the supply lines would have to go through the area outside the city which is enemy occupied and has no friendly corps to defend the supply lines.

This is where I disagree with the rules as written. Like JJ, I cannot understand why a port city could not choose to build a depot inside the city and use it as if they were under siege. I can't see any reason for not allowing someone to do that. I can see that you couldn't normally put a depot inside a city as it's probably a real pain in the ass for the residents, but if you needed to do it because it's that or starve, pissing off the residents would mean a lot less.

Battle issues:
Kyle brought up what kind of battle you'd have if you left the city. I think it'd be a field battle. You aren't having to sortie out of the city against a force that's right in front of you, so you can take the field normally. The down side of this being that if you lose, you get forced out of the area and probably lose the city you were defending. The upside is that you can get out of the area and not be stuck in the city you were defending.

Mike