Kyle H on 24 Jul 2002 13:19:07 -0000

[eia] foraging, sieges, and unused movement

    Well, on the one hand, I think the rules as they are written allow
people to hear whether a force will retire into the city before deciding how
to supply incoming corps.  (After all, the rules as they are written allow
corps to continue moving if corps retire into the city.  If Mike's reasoning
were correct, then this would be impossible.)  However, on the other hand, I
do agree with the gist of Mike's comment as far as our House Rules are
concerned.  Recall that we instituted a House Rule that was intended to cut
down on the number of emails that would be needed during each land phase.
We said that corps entering a city space containing an enemy corps would
have to stop, regardless of the defending corps's decision to retire or not.
So, to wait for confirmation of retirement before announcing supply
decisions would be to violate the spirit and the purpose of that house rule.
    There is an alternative, though.  We could just keep Joel's orders and
his forage rolls intact and assume that his corps are simply not laying
siege this turn.  (The siege rules give you the option of not making siege
attempts.)  That would allow him to use his unused movement for forage.  In
fact, I think we should adopt this as a general policy:  if a corps moves
into a city space containing an enemy corps and decides to use their unused
movement for forage, then the attacking corps will be unable to lay siege
during that turn.  (Of course, since there was no such policy in effect when
Joel wrote his orders, he should have the right to revise them if he
wishes.)

kdh