Daniel Lepage on Fri, 8 Dec 2006 07:47:55 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: you know you want 'em

On Dec 8, 2006, at 7:38 AM, shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Transactions are a way to ensure that, if you trying to do something
>> and it doesn't work, you're left in the state you were in before you
>> started trying to do it.  In real world terms, buying something is a
>> transaction where I give you money and you give me stuff; if you
>> discover after I give you money that you're out of stuff, I get my
>> money back.
>
> Hmm.  Probably just newbie me being thick but I'm struggling to find a
> use for that in b-nomic.  In your example, you could simply have a
> rule that said: "If the shop is out of stuff, it doesn't take the
> money from the player".  I would hope that that sort of thing would be
> there in the rules anyway.

It's useful if you're uncertain about the state of the game and don't
want to take some ridiculous action unless everything is exactly right.

An example transaction:
BEGIN TRANSACTION
I have more than 50 points.
I give 20 points to Optional.
END TRANSACTION

This means I give 20 points to you, but only if the first assertion
is true.

This is useful if, for example, Peter hasn't gotten around to
recognizing some other set of actions so I'm not sure if I actually
have 50 points yet.

--
Wonko

Daniel Lepage