J.J. Young on Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:06:31 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] a question about trade

After your second email, Mike, I'm not sure which side of the argument you
agree with.  Spain did have condition B.6. imposed on it by France.  But my
assertion is that B.6. is not the reason for the lack of trade with America
in this case, and so 12.9 does not kick in.

I see a country's submission to B.6., that is, the turning away of American
shipping, as an act of government, just like the act of imposing tariffs and
duties to collect income from trade.  When a country's capital is occupied,
it loses the ability to make those kinds of actions.  The government's
policy, whether of collecting money from trade or of turning trade away in
accordance with B.6., cannot be enforced while the capital is occupied.

So in other words, I don't picture the trading ports as being empty when the
capital is occupied.  On the contrary, the merchantmen are whooping it up
and trading like mad, because there are no officials coming around to
collect the government's share.

-JJY