Joel Uckelman on Sun, 21 Mar 2004 00:55:15 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] a question about trade

Thus spake Michael Gorman:
> 	I'd have to agree with JJ on this one.  Britain does not have the chanc
> to deny American trade because Spain is not eligible to carry out American
> trade.  The nationality of the force occupying a national capital is not
> relevant to it making the nation ineligible to trade.
>
> Mike

I concur. What denying American trade represents is the Royal Navy
harassing American shipping. Occupying Madrid disrupts American trade just
like it disrupts taxation---by disorganizing the Spanish government. What
it does not do is hinder American ships from reaching their destinations,
which is what the Americans cared about and ultimately what led to the War
of 1812.

--
J.