J.J. Young on Sat, 20 Mar 2004 19:35:42 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] a question about trade

Occupying Madrid creates a different situation than Britain choosing to deny
Spain its American trade.  This is because if Britain chooses to deny the
trade, Britain captures the trade money it denied to Spain.

If rule 12.9 is activated if either a) Britain chooses to capture Spain's
American trade, or b) Spain is kept from carrying out American trade by
peace condition B.6., then I would still argue that neither condition
applies.  Britain did not choose to capture Spain's American trade, and
Spain was prevented from carrying out American trade not by condition B.6.,
but by Madrid being occupied by an enemy.

-JJY

----- Original Message -----
From: "D Mount" <mount324@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "public list for an Empires in Arms game" <eia@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2004 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: [eia] a question about trade

> I think that G.B. is still "denying" Spain its American Trade because G.B.
is the one occupying Spain's capital city.  If it were any other nation that
was occupying Spain's capital then I would say you have a point but since it
is still Great Britain that is "denying" Spain it's American Trade you
should have to roll.

> What do the rest of you think?
>
> -DEM
>
> "J.J. Young" <jjy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 8.2.1.2.1.5 states that a major power with its national capital occupied
may not conduct any form of trade. In my opinion, this means that Great
Britain need not make a "War of 1812" roll for denying American trade to
Spain, since no trade can be attempted for me to deny in the first place.

> Rule 12.9 states that "the British must make the die roll during any Money
and Manpower Collection Step in which any major powers are denied American
trade by Britain and/or by the B.6. peace condition. Since neither of these
causes is the reason why Spain cannot carry on American trade, in my opinion
Britain need not make the roll.