Kyle H on 18 Nov 2002 00:21:02 -0000

Re: [eia] restricting limited access, take 2

        What you aren't looking at that makes me favor restricting the right to declare battles is that Austria is powerless to aid an allied army in its own territory.  It can't come to the defense of a British force even though it is allied with them and that British force is being hosted within its borders.  The restriction balances the issue that the enforced peace prevents nations under a formal peace from doing anything to the forces of their opponent unless a very small list of unusual circumstances occur.

I'm not sure I understand this comment.  Could you please clarify?  (I'm not even sure what the comment is in reference to.)

        As far as the French force entering a British occupied space, I would say they could not enter that space since their presence there would initiate a battle and they are not allowed to do so.

I would be adamantly opposed to anything that restricts a country's ability to leave foreign territory.  If we go with your suggestion, it would be theoretically possible for Britain (in our previous example) to set up a screen which would make it impossible for French forces to leave the country, thus forcing them to be decommissioned.  I am adamantly opposed to anything that would have this consequence.

kdh

Mike