Ed Murphy on Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:17:35 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Fixing B Nomic

ais523 wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 22:05 +0000, Elliott Hird wrote:
>> On 31 Dec 2008, at 22:01, James Baxter wrote:
>>
>>> It is still unknown wether comex's scam worked and it shall remain
>>> unknown until the consultations I submitted are processed. In the
>>> meantime I declare myself a player - if a judgement is made to the
>>> contrary then it all becomes void anyway.
>> It failed, such contract-joining changes the game state and is
>> specified by the rules, and is therefore a game action, and therefore
>> must happen to a public forum.
>
> Don't go down that path. If /everything/ must happen to a public forum,
> then, for instance, the Clock is incapable of advancing, proposals are
> incapable of passing, and public displays on the wiki are incapable of
> displaying.
>
> On the other hand, I worry that rule 5e10 may indeed imply what you're
> saying...

It explicitly says otherwise:

      The Rules also have the power to cause an Outsider to take Game
      Actions whether they post or not.

It's silent on the issue of the Rules directly changing the gamestate
(without any particular Outsider in the role of actor), but this is
arguably not an "activity", merely a change.