Elliott Hird on Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:30:05 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] [Emergency] PEPs

On 24 Nov 2008, at 06:24, Jamie Dallaire wrote:

> I believe this to be correct, except that forfeiting has, I think,
> been
> continuously allowed and non-broken since that Public Display was
> published.
> Because they left the game at least once since then, Wooble, comex,
> Goethe
> and Murphy are not PEPs either. A few of the other Players on that
> list have
> left the game without returning.

Nope.

 From teucer's earlier messages:

Maybe. But I think I just came across proof of universe 1 - the one I
thought was implausible.

Rule 4e4 reads, in its entirety:

There exists a ministry known as the Ministry of Society. The Minister
of Society, also known as the Registrar, is responsible for
maintaining a Public Display of the current Players and their
Attributes and Properties, as well as a Public Display of the current
Public and Discussion Fora.
A Player is an Outsider who consents to be governed by the rules,
fulfills all requirements for continued playerhood specified by the
rules, and has become a Player in a manner specified by the rules that
were in effect at the time e became a Player.
Any Human External Force who is not already a Player and who has not
been a player in the current or previous nweek can become a Player by
posting a message to a Public Forum containing a request to become a
Player and a uniquely identifying name that e wishes to be known by.
A Player may cease to be a Player by Forfeiting the game; this must be
done in a Public Forum unless there are no working public fora, in
which case he may notify the Player he most recently knew was
Registrar privately instead.
No restrictions may be placed on when a player may forfeit; any player
may forfeit the game at any time (regardless of any timekeeping device
used in the game).
Notwithstanding any requirements that would deny it this status, in
this Rule or any other, The Operantly Conditioned Beast is to be
considered an Outsider and a Player.
In its request to become a player, an External Force may name a group
of current players that were responsible for its desire to join the
game. A recruitment bonus of 60 mackerel shall be evenly divided
between the players so named when the External Force becomes a Player,
with any fractional mackerel being destroyed.

Note: a Player is by definition an Outsider, which was the source of
our problems. But any human EXTERNAL FORCE can become a player -
thereby somehow turning into an Outsider. I don't understand it
entirely, but I think that whatever the details of how that works on a
platonic level this unambiguously means that we as external forces are
all also outsiders and we're in scenario 1. This piece seems
unambiguous, which means ehird and I are PEPs, an emergency started
yesterday, and ended because ehird and Codae stopped being paranoid.