ehird on Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:22:18 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] MetaRules and Ideals

On 8 Oct 2008, at 23:48, Tyler wrote:
> Firstly, I should clarify that MetaRules are not rules at all. They
> are
> societal assumptions that allow us to share the common experience that
> is game-playing. If we didn't agree on what playing a game meant, we
> couldn't very well agree as to whether we were playing one. So, it's
> possible that the MetaRules are subjective, as are definitions of
> words.
> However, you will find, I think, that most people will agree on
> certain
> things, and those are what I have tried to list.

These are generally put into nomic rulesets.

> Hmm. I'm still not convinced that you can play a game without
> following the
> rules. It seems like an obvious contradiction to me.

Be careful with obvious contradictions while playing nomic.

> I wrote above my list of MetaRules that they are "independent of
> any rules"
> but that "some rules may try to enforce or change them." I'd
> suggest that you
> may think you're playing Normish, but if you don't follow all its
> rules you really aren't.

Would you like to tell them that? They seem to be doing fine.

> So, you probably know now what I'm going to say about these supposed
> exceptions to the Resignation Anytime MetaRule. Resignation is also
> a matter
> of semantics. Are you still playing if you've stopped 'playing'?

Yah, if obligations are incurred.

> I think
> not. In our nomic, for example, you might still have a Player to
> represent
> you if you haven't bothered to declare your resignation, but the
> External
> Force which is you could be dead for all the other players know.
> Can a dead
> person still be playing the game, just because they haven't sent an
> email
> telling people they want to Resign? So while you're 'playing' the
> game,
> (doing stuff in the game, affecting it,) you're playing, and while
> you're
> not, you're not.

Depends on the definition of "person" in the nomic.

> If I must go further, I'd like to say that most games don't even
> define a
> player. They simple say "deal the players four cards each..." etc.
> They
> assume the players have their own understanding of what playing
> means. But
> if someone ups and walks away, and never comes back to finish their
> turn, I
> say they have resigned. Take that to be what I mean when I explain the
> MetaRules.

As I said, these are generally codified in nomic.

--
ehird