Jamie Dallaire on Sun, 25 May 2008 10:11:54 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] I take the ministry of Laundry

We've had lots of cases in recent times where an earlier proposal, say,
modifies a rule by removing a paragraph, after which a later proposal that
refers to that paragraph in an attempt to amend it passes but becomes
totally ineffectual. Or, a later proposal clobbers the changes wrought by an
earlier one because their wording is not exactly compatible. I think
considering them to have passed simultaneously would be good in a lot of
cases but would unfortunately sometimes cause a good deal of havoc (although
you could say I'm a little bit obsessed with ordering everything in time
since yesterday).

e.g. Rule 99 reads "Whenever X, any Player that Y may do Z."

Proposal 512 proposes to replace the entire text of Rule 99 by "Whenever X
and Q, any Player that Y may do Z."

Proposal 519 proposes to amend Rule 99 by replacing "Y" by "G".

The order in which these two pass becomes very significant, and I'm not sure
how they could happen simultaneously.

BP