Daniel Lepage on Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:17:37 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] Transclusion on the Wiki

On Dec 4, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Geoffrey Spear wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2007 1:28 PM, Aaron Coquet <farfromunique@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So, that's supposed to have a "Lessthat lessthan" /includeonly
>> "Greaterthan" noinclude "greaterthan", right? No email programs
>> screwed that up?
>
> Yeah.  You include the < in includeonly tags so it gets included in
> the page when you substitute the template, but the tag it's opening
> doesn't get parsed on the template page itself or during the first
> inclusion.
>
> I said it was ugly :)

Would it be easier to store proposals in a separate database,
independent of MediaWiki? When we used MoinMoin, we tried having
proposals be pages for a while but found it too restrictive for the
same reasons as you're running into now - a lot of the things you want
to do with props require all kinds of ugly page scripting to get right.

So with MoinMoin, we just moved all the props to an external database
(in this case, a folder full of xml files) and wrote simple MoinMoin
macros for all the different ways we'd want to display them (this is
really easy for MoinMoin; I don't know about MediaWiki).

The downside, I suppose, is that you need a new macro when you think
of a new way to show them off, which requires somebody who can log in
to the machine itself, whereas with the current method you always have
the option of trying to construct some convoluted MW monstrosity to do
it without involving a site admin.

--
Wonko