Mike McGann on Sat, 1 Dec 2007 01:06:35 +0100 (CET)

[s-d] An exercise

I went to district court today to fight over a ticket for "failing to
yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk". The police officer didn't show
up, so I was found not guilty without having to argue (lol to the
people before me with a similar ticket, plead guilty, and had to pay a
fine!).

Anyway, I think participating in nomic got me in an argumentative mood
and I actually think I had a valid defense. It was anti-climatic that
I didn't get to argue. The law is:

http://michie.lexisnexis.com/maryland/lpext.dll/mdcode/216f9/22f07/22fce/22fd9?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_tr21-502

My defense is that the pedestrian was another police officer loitering
in the crosswalk in the adjacent lane. He was also standing next to an
orange traffic cone for some reason. I feel this does not fit the
criteria of 2(i) [other lane] or 2(ii) [was not approaching]. Do you
think this defense would have worked or would the judge have
complained that I wasted his time and issued me the fine and point?

- Hose