Ed Murphy on Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:09:54 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] BobTHJ's Refresh Proposal

BobTHJ wrote:

> In converse, a "permissible unless regulated" rule is far easier to
> maintain. The rules define a way for points to be gained? Then points
> are regulated and no player may arbitrarily gain them. Simple, no room
> for ambiguity. The only arbitrary actions that can be taken are in
> relation to objects which have no bearing on the ruleset, and
> therefore no real effect upon the game.

Agora explicitly addresses this by defining "regulated" to include
anything that would alter data contained in (their equivalent of)
a Public Display.

> I really suggest you bring up this topic on the Agoran forums, as the
> legalists over there should be able to make quite the case for
> "permissible unless regulated" (they seem to really enjoy debating
> these horrendously abstract concepts on a regular basis). I'm sure
> there has been a plethora of Agoran CFJs on the issue. I'm fairly
> certain every Agoran player (with the exception of myself) has a PhD
> in Logic, Computer Science, Mathematics, Law, and just about any other
> topic you could think of.

To address the other "who are we?" topic:  I'm 34, a computer consultant
in the Los Angeles area, BS in mathematics, wife and 3 kids.

> Now, your second point (that every disputed action creates two
> possible quantum gamestates) is a very valid one, and one that must be
> addressed to avoid future issues. Agora's solution (which I hate) is
> to track every possible gamestate that could exist, and seems to lead
> to massive revisions to the gamestate, or else a general consensus to
> ignore the past. I have an idea of how to address this issue, and I
> will add it to the revised version of my refresh proposal.

More accurately, Agora has a formal process for setting the gamestate
to what it would be if a specified (equivalent of a) Public Display
was accurate when it was published, thus effectively ignoring any
errors overlooked up to that point.  Some things with high potential
for requiring tedious recalculation (mainly voting results and currency
reports) do this automatically, unless challenged within a week.