Geoffrey Spear on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:53:59 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] My votes (finally!)

Nomicapolis recently had an incredibly complex combat system and rules
put into place that would allow others nomic to control territories,
put into place at the same time B's foreign relations rule was
enacted.  This was done almost entirely to allow B Nomic to wage war
within Nomicapolis.

Unfortunately, the combat system was so complex that no one in
Nomicapolis ever tried to even make a single move, and it was recently
discarded along with most of the rest of the ruleset in a Revolution.

I still think it was a good idea, but the mechanics were fairly ugly.

Speaking of Diplomacy, when we were coming up with ideas for the
combat system in the first place a bunch of nomicapolis people played
around on phpDiplomacy and we seem to have lost a player who's now
very active in diplom and vanished from the world of nomic.  so it
goes.

--Wooble

On Nov 15, 2007 11:46 AM, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2007, at 11:31 AM, Roger Hicks wrote:
>
> > On Nov 14, 2007 9:29 AM, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> 173: War (comex)
> >> Against. We've had enough trouble with internomic relations in the
> >> past (ask anyone in Nomicron).
> >
> > OK, being a (mostly inactive) player of Nomicron, I'm curious. Care to
> > go into detail?
>
> A while ago we had two players who joined Nomicron. They got into
> some argument with some of the other players there; I don't know the
> details, but it degenerated into both sides swearing at each other
> and calling each other names. At the same time, by coincidence, we'd
> been discussing on s-d how one nomic could meaningfully 'wage war' on
> another, and one of the suggestions was that a few of the attacking
> nomic's players could join the other game and basically undermine it,
> masquerading as serious players.
>
> This unfortunate timing led to a number of Nomicron players believing
> that the two players arguing were actually plants in an attempt by B
> to destroy Nomicron. This kind of strained relations between the two
> nomics, which was a shame because we were both thinking about trying
> to start up some sort of Internomic.
>
> We've still never successfully interacted with another nomic in any
> meaningful way. The furthest along any of our efforts ever got was
> the founding of a joint market with Thermodynomic, but Thermo died
> out due to player disinterest before anything useful could come of it.
>
> If we want to wage war on Agora, by the way, I think it would be much
> more exciting to do so in some official context. By which I mean, an
> Inter-nomic game of Risk or Diplomacy :-D
>
> --
> Wonko

Geoffrey Spear
http://www.geoffreyspear.com/