Mike McGann on Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:42:21 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Bureaucracy of Bureaucracies

On 10/11/07, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The Minister doesn't get the money, the *Ministry* does. At the
> moment there's no way for it to spend it, so it'll sit there until
> somebody proposes a way. Nothing allows Ministers to spend money held
> by their Ministries.

Okay, I see now that the Minister doesn't get it, but a Ministry is
not a COO, so there is no way that it could actually get it either.
The previous rule specified that when a Player wants to "purchase a
device from the Ministry of Goods" that "The price, as specified by
the blueprint in question, is instantly subtracted from this player's
currency." I read this as: to make a purchase, you subtract the price
from your currency. No currency is transfered, it simply disappears.
In the amendment it states "Any player with sufficient currency may
pay the price of a blueprint to the Ministry of Goods." I read this
as: to make a purchase, you give the Ministry of Goods the amount of
currency, and that is not well defined.

> Differentiate from what? There's no method in your proposal that
> would create MiniMinistries within the BoB, so all such ministries
> must be outside the BoB anyway.

True. I'll remove that part from the proposal and resubmit.

> I fail to see the parallels between my objects and these cards...
> Maybe between Black Lotus and the Duplicator, but what do the others
> have to do with each other?

Parallels to the cards as in way too powerful. My comments:

===
Name: Stun Gun
Cost: 50m
Powers:
0:Target player cannot vote on target proposal this nweek. Use this
power at most once per nweek.
====

Let's say there are three open proposals in a given nweek. Player X
has the Stun Gun used on him for all three proposals (by three
different Players). Player X now becomes inactive since they didn't
vote in that nweek. Making their vote an ABSTAIN would be better. But,
if everyone obtains a Stun Gun and uses it once every nweek, it could
really bog things down if there are not a lot of proposals open (one
proposal open, everyone stuns each other so it fails with zero
strength) or cause a lot of proposals to be passed or failed by a
small minority of players who didn't get stunned.

===
Name: Inverter Capsule
Cost: 50m
Powers:
Sacrifice: Reverse target player's vote on target proposal. You may
not use more than two Inverter Capsules in an nweek.
===

It isn't clear how and when this would be applied. It wouldn't be
before voting starts, because if you get capsuled, you can just vote
the opposite of what you intend. If it is during the voting, you can
always submit a new vote at any time during the voting period. If a
player votes FOR, gets capsuled, then resubmits a vote as AGAINST,
does that mean it is a FOR? Would this create a strategy where it
would be best to submit your vote 1 second before the end of the
voting period to prevent getting capsuled?

===
Name: Mental Duplicator
Cost: 40m
Powers:
Sacrifice: Cast an extra vote on any open proposal you have already
voted on. The extra vote must be the same as your normal vote, and any
modifier that changes or nullifies your normal vote has the same
effect on your normal vote. You may not use two Mental Duplicators on
the same proposal.
===

This would be fine if all votes were always equal. With Vote Power,
all votes may not be equal, and I think a doubling is too much. Vote
Power +1 would work. Also, I guess you can't use 2 duplicators, but
you could use 3?

===
Name: Tinfoil Hat
Cost: 60m
Powers:
You cannot be targeted by Stun Guns or Inverter Capsules, nor may you
use Mental Duplicators.
===

This doesn't have a cost. Is it a passive ability or does it have to
be activated? How long does this effect last?

- Hose