Daniel Lepage on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:21:50 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Ministries independent of the rules

On 7/11/07, Peter Cooper Jr. <pete+bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The downside, I suppose, is that we couldn't have ministries with more
> > complicated behavior. For example, the Ministry of the Force, long ago,
> > bestowed a number of special Force Powers on its Minister; that required
> > special rules. We don't want something to be defined both by a rule and
> > by a separate object, either, because then we have loose ends if the
> > Administrator dissolves the Ministry of the Force without touching the
> > related rules.
>
> So, currently, additional powers granted to Ministers that I see are:
> Rulekeeper: Assigning rule/section numbers and moving rules (r1-8)
> Chairman: Assigning prop. numbers (r2-2)
> Oracle: Assigning and numbering Consultations, zotting (r2-5)
> Registrar: Accepting name changes (r1-4)
> Rule Tag Moderator: Has powers/restrictions in Rule Tag (r4-4)
> MoM: Setting state of Clock (r2-1)

Perhaps we need two types of Ministries, legislated ones and unlegislated
ones?
Draft Rule:
{{
=== MiniMinistries ===
A MiniMinistry is a Ministry that is not explicitly defined by the rules.
Any Minister of a MiniMinistry may be referred to as a MiniMin.

The MetaMin may create a MiniMinistry at any time, specifying its name and
its responsibilities. E may also dissolve any MiniMinistry at any time.
}}

> We already have loose ends in that particular ministries are tied to
> powers in other rules. Really, each of our rules has connections to other
> rules, such that changing one requires looking at everything else to see
> what else might need to be changed. One of the reasons I think I prefer
> the all-in-the-rules approach is that it's just one document to search for
> related things, rather than needing to search everywhere.

If we are going to keep it all in the ruleset, then I think each Ministry
should be defined, along with its powers, in the appropriate section of the
rules. I don't like having Ministries defined at the end of the ruleset when
they're actually described at the beginning.

--
Wonko