shadowfirebird on Mon, 15 Jan 2007 04:59:25 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Currency

> what if we want to use points as a currency ?

In what way?  There's nothing to stop us having a rule that allows you
to buy and sell stuff using points.  Then points would be a currency.
But not a "Currency".

> this also has the same annoying drawback of the posts rule that forces
> one to declare the censure, powers etc in the same rule that defines the
> post.

Which annoying drawback is that?

Presumably you would agree that all the COOs need to store how much of
a given currency they have, and that all COOs should do it in the same
way?

> > If the COO has a non-positive currency attribute for a given currency,
> > then he cannot give that currency to another COO.  If for any reason
> > the receiving COOs currency attribute cannot go up, or the giving COOs
> > currency attribute cannot go down, then nothing happens.
>
> so as long as i have at least one elephant i can pay someone a arbitrary
> number of elephants ?

No, look at the third paragraph:

A COO can give currency to another COO by a game action, as follows:
ey specifies an amount (which cannot be greater than the value of eir
currency attribute) and a currency; eir currency attribute for that
currency goes down by the amount; the recieving COO's currency
attribute for that currency goes up by the amount.
<<<<

> > Players can, via game action, exchange points for currency.  The rule
> > defining the currency will set the exchange rate.  The player declares
> > how many points ey wishes to exchange (which cannot be less than 0 or
> > more points than ey has) and the currency ey wishes to recieve.  Ey
> > loses that many points and gains (exchange rate x points) in the
> > currency.  If for any reason the amount of eir points cannot go down
> > or the amount of eir elephants cannot go up, then nothing happens.
>
> same thing as before

Which same thing?  Give a point and gain as many elephants as ey
likes?  Not so.  "Ey loses that many points and gains (exchange rate x
points)".

> > The default currency of this game is elephants.  This can be shortened
> > to a lowercase e. [[See below.]]
>
> i dont like e, e50 looks like 10 at the 50th power to me

Suggestions for funny currency names not starting with e please, everyone...?

Optional.
--
Don't tell me what the poets are doing
Don't tell me that they're talking tough