Peter Cooper Jr. on Sat, 23 Dec 2006 16:24:58 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Out of time

Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> So, here's the problem.
>
> As a bit of a last ditch effort, I thought perhaps the fact that
> Antonio submitted votes *right at* midnight UTC might be used against
> em, so I went to check the exact definition of an "nday" in r2-1.
>
> And it wasn't there.
>
> That's right, we don't define "nday" anywhere in the rules.
>
> Well, actually, that's not quite true. The "nday" is an integer
> attached to the Clock. But there's no notion of an nday as a measure
> of time, so phrases like "the beginning of nday 9" are pretty much
> meaningless.
>
> Also, "nweek" is only vaguely defined, and that relies on the def'n
> of an nday.

This doesn't make any sense to me. This is basically the same clock
rule that we used all throughout the Second Era... There's an integer,
that's part of the clock, that's known as the nday. So, talking about
nday 9 as being the nday when the nday part of the clock is at 9 seems
fairly reasonable. It's always been a part of the game that
unambiguous abbreviations work just fine.

> So the takeover scam fails, because the prop isn't Open for voting,
> because props don't become open until "the beginning of nday 9 of
> each nweek", and there is no such thing as an "nday".

Well, it fails since it's still nday 5, and B Nomic is still in a
state of emergency.

> On a related note, it seems nothing has happened in the past 32 days.

If your logic is true, none of the Second Era happened either, I'm
pretty sure.

--
Peter C.