Daniel Lepage on Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:22:00 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: you know you want 'em

On Dec 9, 2006, at 5:55 PM, shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Don't we already have this?  In that you can put anything you like in
> a proposal, and we often do.  Just recently I saw a proposal that
> said: if proposal X is passed then change rule a to read this;
> otherwise change it to read that... works for me.

E means transactional proposals, so that if some part of a proposal
can't happen, the rest doesn't either.

For example, I could propose {{
Replace the text of r2-4 with {{
<definition and properties of Sporks>
}}

Create a new rule:
{{
<stuff about Sporks>
}}
}}

But maybe before I got this prop out, somebody else made a proposal
to repeal rule 2-4. If everyone votes FOR both, then the first prop
kicks in first, and repeals rule 2-4. Afterwards, my prop kicks in;
the first clause is nonsensical, because there is no r2-4 and so its
text obviously cannot be replaced. But the latter clause would still
happen, and so we'd have a bunch of clutter in the rules about Sporks
without anything defining what a Spork is.

This is relatively benign example; a more serious example might try
to change the definition of a Player or define a new class of "Voting
Entity" that includes all players; if only part of the change takes
effect, that sort of thing could destroy the game.

--
Wonko

>>> Blech.  I second that emotion.
>>
>> It'd be nice to have this for proposals as well... interesting things
>> happen if a proposal goes in halfway.
>>

> --
> Don't tell me what the poets are doing
> Don't tell me that they're talking tough
> Don't tell me that they're antisocial
> Somehow not antisocial enough...

Daniel Lepage
dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx