Peter Cooper Jr. on Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:31:40 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Suggestion: Speed

Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> During each Thrid, you vote on proposals made during the previous
> Thrid, and the proposals you make will be voted on during the
> following Thrid. So voting would be open all the time, just as
> proposing is, and every four days the currently Open proposals would
> resolve and the currently Pending proposals would become Open.
>
> If that's too fast, then maybe two six-day periods would be better.
> Mainly, I object to the fact that a proposal made one minute after
> voting begins will currently wait 16 days before resolving. That
> seems ridiculously long. Even back when we had 10-day nweeks I felt
> that sometimes props would be made early on and I would have
> forgotten all about them by the time voting came around.
>
> In terms of work for the Admin, I think this system would be better,
> not worse. When I was Admin after the first collapse, the biggest
> problem for me was that at the end of every nweek I'd stay up until 3
> or 4AM trying to work out everything that had to change because of
> that nweek's proposals. I would have loved putting in an hour or two
> every few days instead of six hours every week and a half.
>
> Peter may feel differently, in which case we can disregard this idea.

Hmm... I'm not sure yet. You bring up some good points, but on the
other hand this means that I know when to block out time to try to
make changes, and I only have to do so every week and a half. If we go
to Thrids, then I foresee me needing to stop the clock more often to
catch up, as things would be changing all the time. Definitely dealing
with fewer props at once could help things, though.

So, I guess I'm not sure still. I am okay with the pace the game's
currently at, for whatever that's worth. Someone feel free to propose
it and we'll see what everyone else thinks. I'm fine with it being
however everyone else wants it.

--
Peter C.