Daniel Lepage on Fri, 8 Dec 2006 12:46:34 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Suggestion: Speed

On Dec 8, 2006, at 2:10 PM, bd wrote:

> Daniel Lepage wrote:
>> I don't have time to draft this prop myself, but it would be nice if
>> we sped up the rate at which proposals came through. I think we
>> should break each nweek into three 4-day chunks ("Thrids"), and vote
>> on proposals during each Thrid. This would solve the problem where
>> some change you want to make can't be done for a month because it
>> relies on a another prop that won't resolve for 12 days, and then you
>> need to wait 12 more for your prop to go through. This will also keep
>> Peter from having to make a zillion changes to the gamestate at once,
>> and provide a logical time division for subgames that ought to go
>> faster than one action per 12 days.
>
> Do you mean something like 3 days for proposing, 1 for voting? Or 4
> days
> for proposing, then another 4 for voting? There needs to be a
> several-day window (at least) for votes, naturally, or I'm sure most
> people will miss the window...

During each Thrid, you vote on proposals made during the previous
Thrid, and the proposals you make will be voted on during the
following Thrid. So voting would be open all the time, just as
proposing is, and every four days the currently Open proposals would
resolve and the currently Pending proposals would become Open.

If that's too fast, then maybe two six-day periods would be better.
Mainly, I object to the fact that a proposal made one minute after
voting begins will currently wait 16 days before resolving. That
seems ridiculously long. Even back when we had 10-day nweeks I felt
that sometimes props would be made early on and I would have
forgotten all about them by the time voting came around.

In terms of work for the Admin, I think this system would be better,
not worse. When I was Admin after the first collapse, the biggest
problem for me was that at the end of every nweek I'd stay up until 3
or 4AM trying to work out everything that had to change because of
that nweek's proposals. I would have loved putting in an hour or two
every few days instead of six hours every week and a half.

Peter may feel differently, in which case we can disregard this idea.

--
Wonko