comex on Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:52:48 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Proposal: Remove Revision Numbers

On Monday 27 November 2006 11:06, Daniel Lepage wrote:
> Do we have any programmers with free time in the game?
Well, I'm one.  As far as I can tell, while a 'gwiki' could be desirable, you
can come close with minor modifications to MediaWiki.  Explicit revision
numbers are unnecessary; every page's history is tracked, and adding something
like

{{rule|12.34|Stupid Rule}}

that would output

== Rule 12.34/16: Stupid Rule ==

would take very little modification to the code.  Showing the current version
of all rules?  Go to a Special: page that would concatenate everything in
that category (since, of course, templates can add things to categories
already), in order (and changing the nesting level of the headings).  Show
all modifications to a proposal?  History page.  Find all rules whose
timestamp falls during nweek 210?  Recent changes.  If you want to actually
search for an nweek, create a Clock special page that would log changes to
it, and another one that would find the range of real time within which any
nweek occurred.  Automatically assigning properties i.e. you could do
{{newrule|Stupid Rule}} is a second thing that, AFAIK, would require direct
modification of the code (rather than a special page), but not very much.