Bryan Donlan on Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:58:27 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] What news?

On 6/19/06, Daniel Peter Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Wow, I drifted away from B Nomic shortly after it had near-died, and
> > here I wander back shortly after it near-died again. Fate? :P
>
> Welcome back. Maybe you're sent by fate to restore the game in its time of
> need? Or maybe you're attracted by the smell of death and decay?

Only time will tell. On an unrelated note, did you guys save any of my
T-shirts across the resets? :)

> > Anyway, I'm interested in playing, but don't know how much time I'll
> > be able to devote. Mediawiki (as others have suggested) does seem
> > ideal from my POV, but I don't know what the rules were like just
> > before the server died.
>
> The only problem with Mediawiki is that we already have code in Python
> that runs on MoinMoin; all of it will need to be replaced. I can't do that
> because I don't know much PHP.

The mediawiki PHP isn't too bad; spend an hour or so studying some of
the simpler special pages code and you ought to get the hang of it.

> Also, does MediaWiki support anything like the TwikiDrawPlugin for editing
> image maps via an embedded java program? MoinMoin recently added support
> for this plugin, which would be very useful for things like The House.

Not as far as I know, but, would a table, or some divs, or something
be sufficient? I didn't manage to see the rules before the server
imploded though, so I don't know what this "House" is.

> > I do note that discussion in the archives is recently rather lighter
> > than I remembered - signs that the existing game had become stale?
>
> Yeah, activity has faded a lot lately, mostly because nobody seems to have
> enough time to fully grok the rules. There are too many things to keep
> track of, and not enough time to keep track of them all.

Time is an illusion. ntime doubly so.