Daniel Peter Lepage on Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:22:29 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] What news?

> On 6/19/06, Daniel Peter Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > Wow, I drifted away from B Nomic shortly after it had near-died, and
>> > here I wander back shortly after it near-died again. Fate? :P
>>
>> Welcome back. Maybe you're sent by fate to restore the game in its time
>> of
>> need? Or maybe you're attracted by the smell of death and decay?
>
> Only time will tell. On an unrelated note, did you guys save any of my
> T-shirts across the resets? :)

I'm afraid not. I think t-shirts died in the major reset of Nweek 84,
during which we scaled back the rules almost as far as they could go. It
was the first time in all of B Nomic's history that the entire ruleset fit
on fewer than 10 single-sided pages.

The refresh prop at
http://lists.ellipsis.cx/archives/spoon-business/spoon-business-200504/msg00020.html
contains the entire ruleset we put in place.

But despite the lack of rule-defined t-shirts, B Nomic t-shirts do exist!
I just checked, and Teucer's old Cafepress shop is still there. At
http://www.cafepress.com/bnomic you can buy a shirt that says "B Nomic
players do it in Public."

Ah, the good old days.

>> The only problem with Mediawiki is that we already have code in Python
>> that runs on MoinMoin; all of it will need to be replaced. I can't do
>> that
>> because I don't know much PHP.
>
> The mediawiki PHP isn't too bad; spend an hour or so studying some of
> the simpler special pages code and you ought to get the hang of it.

Yeah, but it's still not as much fun as coding in Python :D

I suppose we could get PIP or something
(http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jon/projects/pip/) to combine the two...

>> Also, does MediaWiki support anything like the TwikiDrawPlugin for
>> editing
>> image maps via an embedded java program? MoinMoin recently added support
>> for this plugin, which would be very useful for things like The House.
>
> Not as far as I know, but, would a table, or some divs, or something
> be sufficient? I didn't manage to see the rules before the server
> imploded though, so I don't know what this "House" is.

The House is a collection of Rooms, each of which has its own rules and
any number of exits to other rooms. The ideal way to represent it is as a
network of boxes or circles with lines showing the connections between
them, and I don't think we could do that with tables and divs.

--
Wonko