Daniel Lepage on Wed, 4 May 2005 22:37:56 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: Comments on this nweek's proposals

On May 4, 2005, at 8.08 PM, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:

Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On May 3, 2005, at 11.36 PM, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:
- The HowToRollDice document is not a game document. Anyone could just
  change it to be "Players roll dice by asking me, and I decide which
  number I want them to get." You should probably make it a part of
  the game somehow, and prevent arbitrary revisions.

Damn, I was totally going to do that.

Well, I was too. :)

Well, the key difference is that I can lock the page and you can't. :P

p36 (Random Object names): Hmm... An interesting idea, but I'm not
sure how well it'll work. As someone said, it's going to raise the
barrier of entry for new players. And I don't know if I like the
all-proposals-get-annulled if they all use the Gibberish word.

I couldn't think of any better way to deal with multiple
definitions. Any ideas?

Well, you can just give it to the first prop numerically or
something. It just seems like if they both pass, then people want
both, so they ought to occur.

But this way fits better with the tactical voting concept >:D

Also, I'd like a way to fix them. In the days of yore, I wouldn't have
made a big long posting telling Eugene what misspellings I'd like
fixed; I would have fixed them all and then made a much shorter
posting listing what I'd changed. The only thing wrong with the old
system was the potential for it to alter itself; if that were
forbidden it would work fine.

Well, the Nomic self-modification problem arises. (In any Nomic where
changing the rules is possible, you can't make any rule unchangeable.)
Even if you restricted the old Executive Tidiness to not work on
itself, you could use it on another rule, and that rule could amend
the Executive Tidiness rule, and you have full control
again. Basically, you need a way for players to object before the
arbitrary change comes into effect, much like our current
Tweaks...

Maybe we could have a way for the Grammar Nazi to submit changes to
props during the voting period, which like Tweaks don't work if anyone
Objects? And then some minor penalty if your prop got changed?

Oh, that's a really good point. If e can *only* make changes to proposals, then there's no danger of takeover.

And giving em the ability to modify any proposal is fortunately within the scope of my generalized prop scripts :D

... but not until I have time to rewrite the proposal-handling
scripts to deal with that sort of thing.

Clearly I didn't generalize them enough in the beginning.

Wonko's, it's Nomic. You couldn't *possibly* generalize any
automation scripts enough :).

You should have seen my grid scripts. I never used them for anything, because the Grid folded before I could finish them, but boy were they general.

In fact, I think that's why I never finished them. I kept making things more and more general, until I basically abstracted back out to the programming language and was back where I'd started.

Oh, and "Wonko's" -> "Wonko" :P

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
  -- Ford Prefect