Alex Truelsen on Tue, 3 May 2005 23:04:10 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Comments on this nweek's proposals

On 5/3/05, Peter Cooper Jr. <pete+bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> p28 (Genechip change): This is being done by the current Tweak to the
> rules that hasn't been objected to yet, right?

Nope, this is new.

> p34 (Soul Pennies): Hmm... As Wonko said, this takes a bit of tracking
> that I don't think I want to do, and I doubt anyone else really does
> either.

So I'll do it. I was the Banker back in pre-Wiki days when we did things by
hand (well, by calculator), and it wasn't that odious a job.

p35 (Specialty Proposals): Who determines if a proposal in fact fits
> one of these forms (especially Story)? Does the author get the bonus
> even if they don't realize that they put it in one of the special
> forms?

You'll be able to tell if you made it in one of the forms. It's really hard
to accidentally write a haiku, limerick, rhyming couplets, or sonnet, and a
Story is just as deliberate. If someone claims that they made a Story and
you think they didn't, CFI it. I'm not making a specific definition of
"story," that would restrict creativity and someone would find a loophole
just to be annoying. As it is, how do you cheat at creative writing? And if
someone does, then just don't vote fortheir proposals.

> p41 (Grammar Nazi): Don't you mean "high standard *of* grammar"? :)

Now you see why we need this.

It looks to me like if I typo version 0 of my prop and then fix it
> right away with an amendment, I still get a violation for the first
> version.

So how long a grace period is fair, then? Five minutes? An hour? Fix it
before you get caught?

I don't see how "expected to enforce" actually works... Does
> the Nazi merely point out the violation so that the Secretary can
> track the Suck Points? Can the Nazi fix problems?

Well, the Nazi can't amend proposals, so no, they can't fix problems. The
player will have to do that. Although I suppose one could ignore them...
I'll strengthen the rule to prevent people ignoring the typos.

Also, Spivak
> pronouns aren't defined in the current rules (although people have
> been using them anyway out of habit).

Comma usage isn't defined in the current rules either. The rules of Spivak
pronoun use can be found through Google pretty easily - there are plenty of
pages about it.

> p50 (Political Parties): It's not really a "Generic definition", is
> it?

"Generic Definitions"can hold many types of things. Parties are one such
thing. If you're going to get picky, there's no such thing as a generic
definition - a definition defines a specific thing, so it's an oxymoron.

I'm not completely clear on how the parties can enforce
> things.

That's up to the Parties.

Can a party require its members to vote certain ways?

That's also up to the Parties.

What
> determines "directly influence the Gamestate"?

The Party rules can't do anything to the Gamestate. Members of the Parties
may perform actions in accordance with Party rules, but the Party itself
cannot perform actions, because it is not a thing.