Daniel Lepage on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:36:32 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] Looptek (Win)

On Nov 14, 2004, at 3.27 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 04:55:58PM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:

On Nov 11, 2004, at 1.23 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:35:32AM -0800, Dan Schmidt wrote:
Yes it's true; I have Yet Another Loophole.

Behold! Rule 216/1
{{
To "propose a rule" is defined to mean making a
proposal which contains one Action, which is to create
a Rule.[snip]
}}
Thus making a rule is an Action.

I do the aforemetioned Action. and make a rule with
the name Looptek
{{
Rodney may, as a Game Action,Gain 1 point.
Rodney may also, as a Game Action, modify or delete a
rule.
}}

That's not a legal Action, as it changes the gamestate and no rule
gives
you the power to create rules.

Actually, it looks one does. Rule 216 says that creating a rule is an
Action, and r1896 says that any player can perform any Game Action at
any time.

No: "Any Outsider may take any Game Action at any time unless the rules
say otherwise." r393 says otherwise. Since no other rule says it's
legal, it isn't.

It's equally consistent to claim that r1896 says you can, and r393 defers to r1896, so r393 doesn't say otherwise.

I think in the past we've generally used "unless the rules say otherwise" to mean "unless one or more rules explicitly forbid it and don't defer to this one" when talking about the Default Case; but I haven't consulted the archives so I could be wrong.

--
Wonko

I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to.
    - Elvis Presley