Daniel Lepage on Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:42:06 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Ministry Reforms

On Oct 16, 2004, at 12.33 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 12:09:18AM -0400, Daniel Lepage wrote:

Do you mean that one Minister would recognize things while another
maintained the ruleset? At the moment, recognizing and numbering is in
general the job of whoever tracks what's being recognized, so the
Chairman recognizes and numbers proposals, the Attorney Generalist
recognizes and numbers CFIs, etc.

At the moment the role of 'Admin' has three primary parts:
1) I track the ruleset.
2) I maintain the website.
3) I do everything that nobody else is responsible for, including
recognizing new players, doing the duties of Open Ministries, and
recognizing anything that so far has no Ministry.

I meant #3 and #1. #2 should be covered by each individual Ministry
separately, using the Wiki. Do we need the non-Wiki webpage for
anything?

I use external scripts for tracking the rules and Cards.
Cards could be wikified, probably, but the rules are very, very long, and I don't like the thought of trying to fit it into the wiki framework.

On the other hand, if it were better divided into rulebooks, some permanent rulebooks could be put up just on the website, and the rules that tend to change more could be done through the wiki; this would require ministers or duties for most rulebooks.

The other thing having a webmaster is good for is the automation of menial tasks - the fact that the rules and cards are on non-wiki pages is not nearly as important as the fact that said pages are auto-generated by php scripts so I can deal cards and create cards by clicking buttons instead of editing text manually.

If other players can write scripts to do such things for them and then post them on the Wiki (or post them elsewhere and link to them from the Wiki), then the role of webmaster would become pretty much obsolete.

* we consolidate Vines, FCC, Quotes, and Tildex into one (maybe two)
Ministries,

The way things are going, I suspect Tildex is going to become a fairly
busy ministry soon. But Quotes is definitely paying me more than I
deserve for my Quotes work... Somebody quote somebody!

Yeah, I'm going to prop combining the other three. Anyone got a good
name that evokes gardens, fora, and quotes at the same time?

The ShrubSpeaker? The Gardener of Quotely Fora? The Leafy Scribe? The Talking Vegetable? The Minister of Ornate Herbs, Communication, Annotated Listings of Things Talked, Etc. (the MOCHA-LATTE)?

--
Wonko

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?
                -- Plato