Daniel Lepage on Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:16:17 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Monty

On Aug 2, 2004, at 4.24 PM, Araltaln wrote:

Glotmorf wrote:

On 2 Aug 2004 at 15:20, Jeremy Cook wrote:
On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 01:54:10PM -0500, Araltaln wrote:

Jeremy Cook wrote:

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 02:37:15PM -0400, Daniel Lepage wrote:

Well, maybe not Fortran.

I'm tempted to outlaw requests for COBOL programs just on general
principles.

Is INTERCAL still okay?

We should probably double the bonus for INTERCAL. In fact, if you use
the multi-valued logic version n-INTERCAL, we should multiply the
bonus by n.

I also like Befunge and BrainFuck.
Dare I suggest this is an instance that warrants explicit inclusion? Before someone submits scripts in a non-english-
based version of a language?

That won't help all that much, will it? If I can write an interpreter for it in Python (or any other explicitly included language), I'll still be able to use it. (IOBNCC, anyone?)

I'm tempted to say that we shouldn't actually require the program to have useful value for the game... then various Patrons can request things like Mr. Dice Roller, in Malbolge, etc., just for fun. OTOH, then the game starts to become unfair towards the non-programmers.

Anyway, it's probably not necessary to require or forbid certain languages - let the Patron specify what language it should be in (since, for example, I have no intention of building a bunch of scripts so that we can run BrainFuck macros in the wiki), and if the Patron doesn't care, then use COBOL all you want.

Which shouldn't be any.

--
Wonko

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?
                -- Plato