Jeremy Cook on Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:13:25 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Yay for PGo

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 02:08:38PM -0400, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2004, at 12.26 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:
>
> >>Or would it be enough to simplify the turn-order rules so that the
> >>game doesn't
> >>end up deadlocked?
> >
> >I wasn't there... how did it end up deadlocked? They seem like good
> >turn-order rules to me.
>
> We got into a situation with too many alliances, where it wasn't to
> anyone's advantage to place a stone - the Baron had just played, thus
> stopping em and all eir allies from taking the next move; eir opponents
> didn't really want to move because the other side would then get going
> again; and the Baron's allies couldn't afford to ditch the alliance
> because e had too many pieces that would capture theirs if e became an
> enemy.
>
> The other problem with the turn order is that we developed unofficial
> alliances in order to allow one 'team' to make sometimes as many as
> eight consecutive plays. The game turned into a reflexes-style game:
> whoever was online right when the checking period ended would gain
> tremendously, unless one of eir opponents managed to chuck out a move
> at the last possible second.
>
> What I'd prefer, perhaps, is a turn-based thing. Maybe we come up with
> a Turn order, and at the end of each CP, the moves made during the CP
> take effect in Turn order?

Yeah. Say the Turn order is the order the first member of each Alliance
moved during the first turn, or if e didn't move during the first turn,
e gets tagged on at the end of the order the turn e moved.
I also suggest we require Alliances to be transitive.

Zarpint