Daniel Peter Lepage on Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:24:02 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Re: Roster Stuff

Zarpint wrote:

> Not so clear to me. The object existed at one point. At no point was it
> ever destroyed, though the Rules mentioning it were repealed. There have
> been proposals that specifically deleted objects after repealing the
> rules, suggesting that deleting the rule doesn't delete the object. I'm
> not sure that it is no longer a Game Object.

By r13:
"
A Game Object is anything which exists within the context of the game, that is, its existence must be sactioned by the ruleset; the term Object shall be an unambiguous synonym for Game Object in all game documents except where specified otherwise. [[Note that this does not require the object's definition to be in the ruleset; an object could be defined by reference to an outside Document]]
"

The key bit is "its existence must be sanctioned by the ruleset". This means that a thing cannot be a Game Object unless the rules either define it or give power to something else that does (like a Card Definition). Something like Team Crimson is not sanctioned by the rules in anyway, so by r13 it cannot possibly be a Game Object.

> > Reality, WBE, the Merc, and The Underground Society exist. Glotmorf sacked OrcTech, vSOI was disbanded by p1578. vSET had only the Baron as a member (the 'secret member' thing didn't actually work, because the rules require em to say something when the society accepts a new member, and e never did) so vSET died with the Baron. The Teams and the Island might as well not exist; existence in this case is poorly defined.
>
> I agree that it is poorly defined.

Perhaps I should say, they no longer exist within the context of the game; whether you consider them to exist in a metaphysical sense is up to you and doesn't affect the rest of us.

> > > Araltaln and theta never had Mentors assigned. Is anyone mentoring
> > > anyone else?
> >
> > Not that I know of. Didn't Araltaln get Glotmorf?
>
> No, Phil did, according to the Roster.
>
> According to r746, both those Players have, or had, Mentors, though they
> were never assigned. What is the actual gamestate here?

bd was assigned to Araltaln, then, and Zarpint to theta.

> > > It also appears that our Body of Philosophy has disappeared.
> >
> > I can ask Dave about that. I don't know if you noticed, but he moved everything from nomic.net to bnomic.org; the philosophies probably missed the copy. Not that it'll matter in a few ndays.
>
> Wonko, you are awfully sanguine about that prop passing. And it does
> matter, because voting can't start without all the public displays
> updated, and the Philosophies need to be displayed. (I point out under
> r1586 that that public display is not up to date.)

I'm sanguine about the prop passing because everybody's talking about how they'd like to see much of the ruleset gone, and that's exactly what my prop does. I'm assuming that if people want it to happen, they'll vote for it; nine times out of ten, this is the case.

As for philosophies, nowhere in the rules does it say they have to be in a Public Display, so I don't think you can claim the Philosophies display to be out of date. There isn't a Philosophies display.

In fact, the only data that is specifically required by the rules to be in a "public display" is the number of Tildex in each entities possession, which is in an up-to-date public display (namely, a public forum post I sent out a day or two ago. Everybody has 500~ except Teucer at 550, Araltaln at 450, and all non-player entities at 0.).

> Besides which, the Philosophies of the players influence voting, and we
> might wish to change for the purposes of voting, so it's important that
> they're up. I at least don't have a backup.

I should be able to get this up soon, but I think the game can keep going without it.

--
Wonko