Zarpint on Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:24:06 -0500 (CDT)

RE: [spoon-discuss] Re: viving the Nomic Market idea

That's "Ncoke Classic".

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Glotmorf wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2004 at 1:05, Bill Adlam wrote:
>
> > Teucer wrote:
> >
> > > I was thinking it would be better to individually ban each item we
> > > want to have as contraband.
> > >
> > > Remember, also, that once something is an Export Good from another
> > > Nomic, we've got an nweek to do something about it.
> > >
> > > I don't object to your way of doing it, however. If this passes,
> > > we'll probably have a while to tweak it before it hurts us.
> >
> > Your way, everyone has to constantly scan the export lists of all
> > recognised Market Nomics for potentially disruptive items.  Given the
> > sketchiness of your proposed descriptions, we'll also need to monitor
> > the rulesets to get any grasp of what they actually do.  This is a
> > large and unreasonable burden to place on the players, not to mention
> > the Admin.
> >
> > This prop would more or less merge the rulesets of all participating
> > Nomics, creating a morass of contradictory effects.  (For example,
> > what if we export the GIPEC and then pass a Declaration Of Extreme
> > Cleverness?  Both rulesets agree there is only one prize, but
> > according to our rules it belongs to a B Nomic player, while in the
> > other Nomic it belongs to someone else, who is allowed to transfer it
> > to one of us.)  Worse, it allows destructive rules to escape from
> > their natural habitat and infect other Nomics, potentially wiping out
> > all of them.
> >
> > We would also be vulnerable to pranks or worse from other games.
> > Suppose I buy a Potion Of Belching from Y Nomic and then, during our
> > voting period, Y Nomic changes its Export List to say that a Potion Of
> > Belching prevents any changes to the ruleset from occuring, and cannot
> > be destroyed or transferred.  In the very unlikely event that one of
> > us notices this obscure alteration immediately, we still can't do
> > anything about it before it takes effect.
> >
> > Another possibility is for Z Nomic to export a candy as a palatable
> > confection, but for a brief period (perhaps only seconds) change its
> > definition to a deadly poison that causes anyone possessing it to lose
> > the game.  You take one from a stranger and then, one nweek after the
> > change of recipe on the Z Nomic export list, you drop dead.  And when
> > someone claims Z Nomic changed the description, how do we know whether
> > e's telling the truth?
> >
> > In general, there is far too much scope here for accidental or
> > malicious carnage.  We need a firewall, not an orgy of promiscuity.
>
> What we really need is an ex post facto rule, that pretty much
> says an object carries with it the properties that existed on
> creation and/or trade.  That way, even though they may start
> producing New Ncoke tomorrow, we've still got the Old Ncoke we
> purchased today.
>
> 						Glotmorf
>
> -----
> The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
> http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt

Zarpint Jeremy Cook    "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."
dynamicwind.com               --W.B. Yeats, The Song of the Happy Shepherd